Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Blog world entry




So the blog mania has bitten me too. Let me clarify though that I am not writing this blog because I am angry with critics and I want a forum to express my views. Nor am I doing this because I find solace in writing. Not because lots of sportsmen are doing it... not because of this… not because of that… nothing.

I am doing it just for TP….time pass. Right now I just came from India to Europe. I will be here for 10 weeks and I have lots of free time. So thought that I might as well amuse myself.

Don’t know if I will continue this once I am in India, because there I don’t have time even to scratch my back.

But I must say Dev Sukumar; one of our great Badminton columnists inspired me for sure.

I arrived here on Monday. I am based at a place called Saarbruken in Germany, about 2 hrs away from Frankfurt. It’s definitely a very peaceful place. Like in the middle of nothing. You can say this place is something like our SAI but in practicality far away from it. Basically it’s the German National training centre for a few sports like Badminton and some athletics discipline. Amazing facilities here.

Off course they have other sports here too. Handball, tennis, gymnastics, swimming...etc happens. I am in the midst of professional sportsmen here with a room of mine fitted with bathroom and kitchen. Being independent is the order of the day. Have to do my own laundry and groceries. And as you must have noticed, Conditions are obviously the best.

Breakfast and lunch happens at the cafeteria and dinner happens at my room. So I am a part time cook also. Which is quite good cause we Bhat’s are supposed to be great cooks.
Haven’t you heard “Bhattre, ond masale…yenne kammi”.

This is the 6th year I am here in Germany. I come here every year to play the Bundesliga competition between Sep and March. Last 5 years I was based at Munich (now don’t start thinking about Oktoberfest). I played in the second division. But this year I had this opportunity to play in the first league and who better than to play for the defending champions.

I am the number one singles player for Bishmishiem. They have won the German Championships 3 times already and have some of the top players. Let me remind you that Germany has one of the best Badminton league in the world. Lot of top players in the world has participated time and again. This year the star attraction is obviously the Malaysian south paw, Wong. Wong Choon Hann was former World No.1 and presently top 15 in World Rankings. It would be fun playing against him in this league.

It’s wonderful to be in Germany actually. I really like the way the country is run. Hence I choose to come here every year.
Also another reason is it’s a good base for me as at this time of the year, every year, many International tournaments happen in Europe. So it’s not feasible to go to India and come back for tournaments. Making a base in Europe during this year is critical and many will agree that Germany, which is in the middle of Europe, is the best choice.

Germans are warm and fun loving people I must say. Never once have they made me feel left out or bad here.

Last 5 years as I mentioned I played for this club in Munich called TSV Neubeberg. I would stay at the club’s manager’s place, the Haubers. Hubert and Hilde treated me like their son. Maybe that’s another reason why I like Germany. Always made me feel special and is a very loving family. Julia is their daughter and Mike, their son always helpful.

Our team in Munich played in the second league and our captain Sebastian was always spirited (pun intented). We had the tall lanky Felix, very talented. Timo, Benny, Thomas, Toby all fun.

Anyway, don’t let me bore you. I am in a new place now with a new team. I will surely visit Munich though.

This weekend I go to Belgium for the Open there. All the best for me!!!!

Hey forgot to mention. I am getting married this December to a girl I have known for the last 6 years. Pallavi Sengupta is an HR professional and a former Bengal state player. She is based in Mumbai now. Please come… you guys are invited!!!

Watch Rock On!!! It rocks.

No comments: